International News Reporting
International News Reporting
- Duration: 1 semester
- Study mode: Full-time
- Credits: 30 ECTS
- Level: Advanced undergraduate
- Location: Campus Aarhus
- Programme Start: Mid August and end of January
Deadline for application: April 1 and October 1.
- Develop your skills as an international news reporter in a learning-by-doing environment that combines practical teaching with academic studies.
- Improve your multimedia skills by incorporating video, photos and graphics with text in your journalism.
- Gain a better understanding of international politics and the world agenda in general, and a solid knowledge of European affairs.
- Strengthen your future career by becoming part of an network of journalists from all over the world.
Introduction Programme /International Newsgathering Workshop
|EU Workshop – Reporting the European Union||10|
|People & Politics: Semester project||10|
Course 1: Introduction Programme
Get to know your fellow students, and become familiar with the study environment at the Danish School of Media and Journalism. You will also gain basic knowledge about the Danish society, the culture and the news media.
Course 2: International Newsgathering (10 ECTS)
Master the basic methods in global news journalism, and work with the combination of text, video and images for the web. The focus will be on breaking international news, foreign news in national contexts, and local news with international perspective.
Study tour to Copenhagen (4 days). Travel and accommodation to be organised individually, and at students’ own expenses.
Course 3: Reporting the EU (10 ECTS)
Understand the main decision-making processes in the European Union, and develop ideas, do research and identify sources to produce your own EU-stories.
Study tour to Brussels, Belgium or Strasbourg, France (5 days). Group accommodation of DKK 1800/person (compulsory; covers 4 nights at hotel in city centre with breakfast, and local transportation in Brussels). Travel expenses to/from Brussels at students´ own expenses.
Course 4: People and politics: Semester project (10 ECTS)
The “People & Politics: Semester project” course comprises of two integrated components:
1. A series of activities, mini-workshops, lectures and events in the “People & Politics” component; events and topical focus change each semester but may cover issues like: Populism and fake news; climate change reporting; migration and xenophobia; disaster and crisis reporting; event based journalism and realtime reporting.
These activities are leading up to the production of:
2. The Semester project production, an individual or group project including a research period in Denmark or another European country (3 weeks with no scheduled classes/appointments at the school).
Practical use of journalistic methods and theory are one of the main ingredients in this programme. You will produce current stories for publication, interview real sources and work under strict deadlines. You work in realistic newsroom settings, supervised by experienced journalists and teachers.
Teamwork is a central part of the study method. In the majority of the semester you get to work with fellow students in different group settings.
Teachers are experienced reporters and experts. Guest lecturers are media professionals, politicians, academics, and high-level officials.
Class size is 25 students – about 75% international exchange students, and 25% Danish journalism students. The small class size allows for a close dialogue between teacher and students.
You are going to produce articles with photos, audio and video for the web. You are offered an introduction to photography, video recording, and video and sound editing.
Most of your journalistic assignments will be published online.
To apply for this programme you must have:
- a minimum of 1 year training in journalism.
- a good command of the English language, both written and oral.
Non-native English speakers should include a copy of their TOEFL test results (minimum score 550 or computer based 80)/ IELTS test of 6.5 or have the test results sent to our address).
You do NOT have to pay tuition fee if you are an exchange student from one of our student exchange partners.
The tuition fee for non-exchange students is 4400 €.