Residence permit

Most students residing in Denmark for more than 3 months need a residence permit.

There are different procedures for EU, non-EU and Scandinavian students.

EU students
If you are a citizen of the EU, you must apply for a residence permit within 5 days of your arrival. Bring the following for the residence permit application:

  • Passport
  • Letter of admission from the Danish School of Media and Journalism
  • 2 passport-sized photographs

Depending on which campus you are going to study at, the permit may be obtained at.

Students at Campus Copenhagen:

Statsforvaltningen Hovedstaden
Borups Allé 177
2400 Copenhagen NV

Students at Campus Aarhus:

Statsforvaltningen Midtjylland,
Lyseng Allé 1
8270 Højbjerg

Non-EU students
If you are a non-EU citizen, you must apply for a residence permit before arriving in Denmark.

Along with your official letter of admission (sent to you by normal mail), you will receive an application form for residence permit as well as instruction on how to apply.

Please apply for your permit at the nearest Danish embassy or consulate immediately after you receive your letter of admission, as the application process usually takes a considerable length of time (2-3 months).

Note that the Danish Immigration Service charges an application fee for processing your application. And they do not begin processing your application until payment is received.

Scandinavian students
If you are a Nordic citizen, you do not need a residence permit. However, if you are staying in Denmark for more than 6 months, you must have a CPR number.

Once you have your residence permit, you must apply for a CPR number.

Prefooter web-form

Foreslå indhold til underskoven