Journalism, Multimedia and World Politics
International news reporting for the web and the latest knowledge on journalism and international politics.
- Duration: 1 semester
- Study mode: Full-time
- Credits: 30 ECTS
- Level: Advanced undergraduate
- Location: Campus Aarhus
- Programme Start: Mid August and end of January
Deadline for application: April 1 and October 1.
- Develop your skills as an international news reporter in a learning-by-doing environment that combines practical teaching with academic studies.
- Improve your multimedia skills by incorporating video, photos and graphics with text in your journalism.
- Gain a better understanding of international politics and the world agenda in general, and a solid knowledge of European affairs.
- Strengthen your future career by becoming part of an network of journalists from all over the world.
Course 1: Introduction Programme
Get to know your fellow students, and become familiar with the study environment at the Danish School of Media and Journalism. You will also gain basic knowledge about the Danish society, the culture and the news media.
Course 2: International Newsgathering (6 ECTS)
Master the basic methods in global news journalism, and work with the combination of text, video and images for the web. The focus will be on breaking international news, foreign news in national contexts, and local news with international perspective.
Study tour to Copenhagen (4 days).
Course 3: Reporting the EU (6 ECTS)
Understand the main decision-making processes in the European Union, and develop ideas, do research and identify sources to produce your own EU-stories.
Study tour to Brussels, Belgium or Strasbourg, France (5 days).
Course 4: Risk Reporting (6 ECTS)
Learn the risk reporter’s tools of trade. Get to understand the working conditions in areas of crisis and conflict, i.e. climate change, terrorism, humanitarian disasters and military intervention.
Analyse news reports emerging from crises or conflict areas, and piece together an adequate situation assessment from several news sources.
Course 5: Lectures on World Politics and Europe (6 ECTS)
Rapid changes in society, in economics and in politics reshape the conditions for ordinary people in Europe and beyond. This series of lectures analyses some of these changes, to provide an understanding of globalisation, world crises and developments.
You will learn about the role of mass media and international institutions, and get an overview of EU integration and dilemmas.
Examples of topics:
- Stereotypes – in journalism and politics
- The World Agenda; the major issues in World Politics
- The European and Global Economic crises: Responses and consequences
- The Arab uprisings and the influence of media
- Military intervention and the soldier’s perspective
- What is democracy – and the “European public sphere”?
Practical use of journalistic methods and theory are one of the main ingredients in this programme. You will produce current stories for publication, interview real sources and work under strict deadlines. You work in realistic newsroom settings, supervised by experienced journalists and teachers.
Teamwork is a central part of the study method. In the majority of the semester you get to work with fellow students in different group settings.
Teachers are experienced reporters and experts. Guest lecturers are media professionals, politicians, academics, and high-level officials.
Class size is 25 students – about 75% international exchange students, and 25% Danish journalism students. The small class size allows for a close dialogue between teacher and students.
You are going to produce articles with photos, audio and video for the web. You are offered an introduction to photography, video recording, and video and sound editing.
Most of your journalistic assignments will be published online.
To apply for this programme you must have:
- a minimum of 1 year training in journalism.
- a good command of the English language, both written and oral.
Non-native English speakers should include a copy of their TOEFL test results (minimum score 550 or computer based 80)/ IELTS test of 6.5 or have the test results sent to our address).
You do NOT have to pay tuition fee if you are an exchange student from one of our student exchange partners.
The tuition fee for non-exchange students is 4400 €.